A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Warning

Message: date_default_timezone_get(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead

Filename: libraries/Core.php

Line Number: 227

How To Treat Your Dog’s Bug Bites | Blog | Beefeaters

Beefeaters® Blog

image description

How To Treat Your Dog’s Bug Bites

Fri, May 24, 2013,

It’s not just rainbows and butterflies when it comes to spring, it’s also the time of year when the bugs come out full force. Mosquitoes, spiders, ants, bees, and wasps are all a common threat to you and your dog’s sanity when it comes to the itchy situation they bestow upon us. While some stings or bites can have no impact on your dogs health, some can result in your dog itching for days, or even cause threatening allergic reactions. One too many bites can leave your dog vomiting, cause difficulty breathing and even cause death in extreme cases.

Often your pet will present swelling and redness surrounding the site of a bite or sting, with the most common place for bites being where your pet is hairless or the hair is thinner, including the neck, nose, ears, face, and paws.

Your pet’s curiosity is often a cause of getting stung. Chances are your pet was sniffing or biting at the insect especially in the case of wasps, and bees.
And just like in humans, dogs can have allergic reactions and can even develop anaphylactic shock when they have been stung in the past.

If a wasp or bee has stung your pet, it’s important to get the stinger out of the skin. This can be done using tweezers or a credit card by swiping the card across the area. The best option, however, is to make a paste of baking soda and water to be applied directly to the sting. This will help draw out the stinger. Afterwards a pet friendly topical antibacterial ointment is advised. Certain antihistamines can also be given to your pet, but consult your vet first.

Preventative measures can be taken to help keep your dog from being bitten. While there are many human insect repellents available, they should not be applied to your pet, as most are toxic if ingested. There are specialized pet friendly insect repellents to help your pet avoid the pesky pests, such as K9 Advantix by Bayer Animal Health and many other natural and insecticide based products on the market. Before using a new product be sure to check with your vet first.

Don’t forget, the most important thing you can do to protect your pet is to keep a close eye on it and avoid outdoor activities during times of the day when the bugs are out in full force.

For times when those unfortunate bites do happen, make sure to pamper your pooch with a Beefeater’s treat to help take its mind off the itch!

blog comments powered by Disqus